The Nijmegen Regional Nijmegen hold the historical records of the city of Nijmegen and the municipalities of Berg en Dal, Beuningen, Druten, Heumen, Lingewaard, Mook en Middelaar, West Maas en Waal and Wijchen. We also collect records which relate to the Nijmegen area created by private persons and local institutions, such as churches, schools, companies and associations.
The Nijmegen Regional Archives hold a range of resources that could be interesting for your own family tree research. Many records concerning genealogy are available online on the national database WieWasWie.
In our Digital Reading Room you can browse our collections. Our historical records and search engines are only available in Dutch. Therefore we collected a few tips on how to use our Digital Reading Room:
- A simple search using a key word, inserted in the ‘Eenvoudig zoeken’ box, will retrieve all information on this key word in our collection
- When you select the page ‘Uitgebreid zoeken’, you can browse a certain collection (archives, library, images, film/audio, newspapers, address books, persons and locations
- Use quote marks around names and phrases for an exact match (e.g, the term ‘middelbare school’ returns results containing these words together in this order
- The asterisk broadens a search by finding words that start with the same letters (e.g., the term ‘kerk*’ will also return ‘kerkje’, ‘kerkgebouw’ etc.)
- The ? symbol functions as a wildcard and fills in any single character (e.g., the term ‘b?kker’ will return ‘bakker’, ‘bekker’ etc.
- To exclude words from your search, put - in front of a word you want to leave out (e.g., the term ‘Waalbrug -Waalkade’ will return results containing ‘Waalbrug’ but excludes results that also contain ‘Waalkade’)
If you know the access numbers of the documents you wish to look into during your visit, you can send them to us by e-mail, together with your name and the date of your upcoming visit. The documents will be ready for you upon arrival. You can also order documents during your visit in our reading room: please note that there will be a 15-minute waiting time.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Our visiting address is Mariënburg 27, Nijmegen. Our opening hours are as follows:
- Monday, Saturday, Sunday: closed
- Tuesday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm